Publish your blog online using the servers of a hosting provider
- CSS & HTML
- Web Design
If you’ve decided you want to develop and publish a blog on the internet, you’ll need a hosting provider. A blog host is a company that provides the space on its servers and equipment to store your blog. This way, the blog can be reached by anyone online over the internet. Typically, a blog host provider charges a small fee to store your blog on its server. Although there are some free blog hosting companies, their services are often limited. Established blogging hosts provide a variety of ancillary services, and some blog hosts provide blogging software as well.
Finding a Blog Host
If you don’t already have a domain name for your blog, go with a host that provides a discounted domain. Some providers supply the domain free for the first year. If the provider offers several levels of service, examine the features and choose the package that best meets your needs. If you aren’t sure, choose the company’s basic plan. If you change your mind later, your service provider will upgrade it at your request. Some of the features to look for include:
- Free or low-cost domain name (or a service that allows you to bring your own domain name)
- 24/7 support
- Free site builder software (unless you are building your site elsewhere and just uploading it)
- SSL certificate (for security)
- Email account(s) and storage amount
- Amount of storage space for your blog on the server. Blogs are not usually huge files, so you probably won’t need unlimited space. However, the service provider will upgrade you later if you ask.